Who goes to the beach for Thanksgiving? You do! Enjoy all kinds of great events, ‘Turkey’, a big ol’ parade, a unique Thanksgiving recipe, and swimming.
Yes, Swimming in November
Galveston Island has beautiful beaches and perhaps you are one of the hardy souls who wants to swim in the Gulf of Mexico no matter what. Wait a minute. November is the best time of year to hunt for shells because the water has cooled off a good bit. In fact, it’s only about 69ᵒ this time of year. Look for those shells on the West End of the Island. And as for swimming…here’s good news! Stella Mare’s pool is HEATED!
The ‘Turkey Trot’ and the Parade
On Thanksgiving morning, c’mon out of your RV in your bathrobe or your fanciest clothes – we don’t care which – for our Annual Turkey Trot at 9:00 am. Just bring your coffee or your Bloody Mary and mix & mingle with the neighbors. You don’t even have to trot. Just stroll around the resort, make friends, and thank your lucky stars for your beautiful beach life at Stella Mare.
Then…drum roll, please…at 11:00 am, the Thanksgiving Golf Cart Parade! Decorate your golf cart any which-a-way you like and c’mon out to show off your artistic skills. We hope to get Elvis Presley to judge the Golf Cart Contest, not sure if he’s available. The wackiest, funniest, prettiest, best-decorated cart in the line-up wins a Gift Certificate!
Veggies for a Seafood Thanksgiving Dinner
You need veggies like peppers, parsley, potatoes, green beans, onions, salad fixin’s, and pumpkins for your DIY holiday feast. Get everything you need at Galveston’s Own Farmers Market, every Sunday from 9:00 am – 1:00 pm at the Bryan Museum.
So…you are loving life in your RV just steps away from the thundering surf. Get in the groove with a seafood Thanksgiving. Fast, easy, and totally delicious.
Crab-Stuffed Fish – Get 6 Fillets of Flounder, or any fish you like:
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 4 ½ ounces crabmeat, canned or fresh
- ½ cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Fish fillets (about 2 pounds total)
- Paprika, to taste
How to do it:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F; coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet melt 4 T butter over medium-high heat. Add celery, onion & parsley. Sauté until tender. Remove from heat and stir in crabmeat, bread crumbs, lemon juice and red pepper flakes.
- Spoon crabmeat mixture evenly over the filets. Starting from the small end, roll up each fillet, jelly roll-style. Place the rolls seam side down in baking dish. Melt the remaining butter and drizzle over fillets. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
Holiday Gift Shopping
Why is the day after Thanksgiving called ‘Black Friday’? Shouldn’t it be called Green Friday, because everyone is out spending money? Put on your mask, hop in the car and go to the Bolivar Christmas Festival at Festival Park in Bolivar on November 28th.
The event features gift ideas for everyone on your list, including arts, crafts, furniture, Christmas décor, clothing, jewelry and even a special appearance by Santa Claus.
And, speaking of gifts, Stella Mare has a special gift for you, just to thank you for being our friend…15% off a 5 night stay – perfect timing for the Thanksgiving holiday.
Book your stay at beautiful Stella Mare RV Resort for a November you’ll always remember.