How to Have Fun in Your RV During the Holidays
Whether it’s just the two of you, your immediate family or a small gathering, RV living during the holiday season does not have to be drab. Here’s our tips to make it extra special.
Deck out your RV with festive garb. You are only limited by your imagination. Whether you are a true Christmas traditionalist with all of the sparkling red and green decorations, or are more of a modernist, make your festive campsite your own.
- Exterior Lights allow you to show your flair for the season to the neighbors. Do it your way! Get creative!
- Mini Christmas trees inside your RV, whether on the wall or on a table, is the perfect alternative to a full-size tree.
- Hang Stockings wherever you have empty wall space.
- Switch your bedspread/comforter to a cozy festive holiday comforter
Don’t have room for all of those decorations? Recycle and reuse! Every year, shop at local thrift stores or dollar stores for your decorations. Then at the end of the season, simply donate them to a local facility, such as Goodwill or Salvation Army.
Celebrate with a big Xmas meal. Having a small space does not mean you need to skimp on the holiday meal. You may not realize how much culinary breathing room you actually have if you know how to maximize your RV’s kitchen. A little bit of ingenuity can turn your tiny celebratory meal into an all-out cook-a-thon.
- Cook the meal in stages. Have too many sides to cook at once? Prepare the sides that can be stored in the fridge first, then select 2-3 choice hot sides to prepare on the stove-top or microwave. Then prepare the main course (turkey, ham, roast, etc., or fancy vegetarian dish last to serve right away.
- Take it to the outdoor grill. RV campers really have the best of both worlds. Use the outdoor cooking space to double up your cooking/baking surface area, and enlist friends or family members to help you. One can be cooking outside – another inside.
Make it a game day. The best way to spend quality time together other than the big meal is with your favorite games.
It is a great alternative to exchanging gifts, which takes the hassle and stress out of trying to find the perfect gift for that special someone. Instead, give them the gift of a rousing game of charades, Pictionary, or the latest board game. Paired with a round of drinks and finger foods, you truly have the makings of a fun afternoon.
Set on exchanging gifts? Make it a White Elephant gift exchange. This is a fun way to get rid of that “white elephant” gift you’ve been hanging onto for no reason. Better yet, organize a white elephant gift exchange between your nearby campsites. It’s a great way to get to know your fellow RV campers!